Monday, July 2, 2012

Surface Pattern Design...


Some people wonder what surface pattern design is when I talk with them. If you think about it, just a little bit, I think it kind of says what it does on the tin. Designing patterns that can be applied to surfaces :-) Anything and everything from the obvious ones for interiors....walls, curtains, cushions, lampshades, carpets, tiles, etc. to greetings cards, laptop case's, cake tins, towels, clothing, umbrella's. Once you get started and start opening your eyes you'll see pattern on everything, yes even the toilet roll. It's about thinking outside the box and making life more pleasurable and beautiful.



Rachael Taylor Organic Blue www.rachaeltaylordesigns.co.uk

When I'm learning and discovering it helps if I am being guided by someone inspiring to keep you interested. That is exactly what I have found while embarking on the exciting course that Beth Nicholls and Rachael Taylor have recently launched. Variety is the spice of life as they say and I think these ladies are keeping it active and varied. I admire them. Visit their sites for some inspiration at http://dowhatyouloveforlife.com and www.rachaeltaylordesigns.co.uk

Check out Rachael Taylor Laptop and I-phone ranges

Today I was given a link to Tim Brown's presentation from the 2012 Better by Design CEO Summit. Listening to it I picked up a number of interesting and useful new 'ways of thinking'. One of the ideas was the way in which we view design and the fact that traditionally we are all a little obsessed with a design achieving an 'complete' state. Tim was challenging this way of thinking and recommended that we 'let people in' sooner - thinking of our work as evolving pieces. Making both the designs and our thoughts about it work in a more organic process may allow for greater creativity and open mindedness. I kind of like the thought so here goes. I am a new person, I am going to relinquish my perfectionist side and control and let you all in to see my evolving work. Not 'finished' and not perfect in my eyes but you may be able to give me ideas and help it develop further ;-) Haha.



'retro swan' RebeccaHarrison

Just an idea...maybe it would work better on something else....evolution....!


part of the 'coral' collection RebeccaHarrison

I just happen to be a bit obsessed with the colour orange for its zing, hence the palette used here and on numerous other designs of mine but......through my trend research I am doing with 'the art and design on surface pattern design' I have learnt that PANTONE's 'tangerine tango' is one of the colours of 2012 so....hit the nail on the head there :-0

'distressed lace pattern' RebeccaHarrison

Yellow....colour for S/S 2013, pop a little colour into your crevices ;-)



'yellow fern' RebeccaHarrison


Ok, that's enough now, I haven't transformed that much in the space of a few hours...


No comments:

Post a Comment