Saturday, July 7, 2012

New Designers '12


Great Saturday at the New Designers Show in Islington today...



I'm so glad that I went to the show today. The first print stand I saw was Tigerprint. The girls were sat working on the 'theme of the day' - Home Sweet Home. I had a little chat with a couple of them about what exactly they get up to at their studios. As the sole supplier for M&S' greetings products they're busy being innovative in design, design, design. I think one quote was 'we're so lucky to get paid for.....drawing!'Their main studio is in Bradford but they also have offices in London and Hong Kong. I am following their blog and their monthly design competitions provide inspiration for those 'artist block' moments...!

I then came across Louise Tiler. Louise is a young designer who has done extremely well in her field in recent years. Having worked as a freelance for Tigerprint for 2 years and having won numerous accolades she has now launched her own brand....amazing! She's done so well and she's so young...! She was really lovely and I was so pleased I got to meet her and talk to her a bit about her journey and ambitions. Check out her lovely hand drawn and digitally manipulated designs at  www.louisetiler.com


I unexpectedly came across a couple of really inspiring designers who's work immediately stood out for me. Rachel Powell's stand particularly grabbed my attention. Sometimes, the time spent on presentation is worth what it may reap.... Rachel's designs are very simple and very retro but I think it is just that which gives her a unique style and catchy look.

While I was walking around today I was really challenging my ideas towards pattern and those that I am drawn towards. After seeing the work that was on display today and chatting with a few of the designers it was apparent that there is a distinction between a designer and a brand. I know this may sound obvious but in my little mind I have so many ideas swirling around that sometimes I find it difficult to really focus on one theme/idea and therefore don't feel as if I have ever properly developed a style for myself. It is all very well working as a freelance to lots of varied briefs but when you want to make a name for yourself you really have to have an  instantly recognisable style.

I am currently torn between two ideas. One is that I try to incorporate my paintings into my pattern design, the other is that I go with my instinct towards pattern design...which is simplicity. I am instantly, always attracted towards the no messing, simple, not necessarily bold but easy to read patterns. Life experience has taught me that instinct is always a good one to go with so perhaps I should keep my painting separate to my ideas for pattern design... 


Rachel Powell 'Prudence Wallpaper'

Take a look at Rachel's simple but cool design's at www.racheljpowell.com

Ok, so another designer whose lamp shade I LOVE was Joanna Corney. Simple, sketchy illustrations is her style, inspired by her travels. Worked up onto neutral backgrounds, they're clean and lovely.Check her out at www.joannacorney.co.uk






No comments:

Post a Comment