Saturday, July 14, 2012

Branding, continued...

By taking a risk and opening her own shop in Holland Park using her savings of £15,000 in 1993 seems to have paid off for Cath Kidston....to say the least. 

Having grown up in the English countryside, Cath enjoyed playing shop in her younger years using leaves as money. Cath has since then gone on to build her international brand. It all began by selling vintage wallpapers, tea towels and brightly painted, restored furniture from her first shop in London.



One of many Cath Kidston stores, worldwide

In her own words, Cath Kidston designs are like 'marmite'  .... you either love it or hate it. Cath is a realist. She believes in being honest to herself and doesn't expect everyone to like her style. Just like anything in the arts, it is open to subjectivity. I think one key thing as a designer is to remember this and not to be disheartened when people are not as enthusing about your work as you'd like them to be. As long as you are doing what you love and not being completely naive to consumer demands then you are doing the right thing. 



Cath Kidston Wallpaper Collection

Cath has a particularly strong design personality which has an optimistic, playful, cheerful, nostalgic feel. Perhaps this is why, in recent economic downturn her brand has seen profits soar. Perhaps she gives people the feel good factor through her pretty designs.


Cath Kidston, Spot Bag


Like Cath, I was always re-arranging my bedroom when I was a child and re-organising the things around me. I go through stages of collecting things from the amazing 'junk shops' in the local town I went to school in. I used to come home with vases and kitchenwares that I would say are 'for my house'.....not sure when I will have one of these! Always dreaming.
My little collections are still in my bedroom at Mum and Dad's and I enjoy going back to them and being surrounded by them :-) 

The junk shops are a guilty pleasure and one of the activities I enjoy doing most when I go home to Lincolnshire, especially as the price tags on everything are so much more desirable that buying anything in London. 


Check out her expansive collections at www.cathkidston.co.uk

So, as a brand I think it's fair to say that Cath Kidston has done quite well since opening that first shop in Holland Park. You can't even go on holiday to get away from her now since she's recently opened airport shops as well as having stores abroad in Ireland, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand.

Be inspired....
















No comments:

Post a Comment